Saturday, November 24, 2007

Texas Motivation Speaker - Chuck Gallagher speaks on "Saving A Life! One Choice At A Time..."

Being stuck in traffic really stinks at times and this morning was no exception. I had just heard the radio play the commercial that I had made for a local company and recall the up coming news tickler. Planning to turn my radio off or switch to satellite radio, I heard something that peaked my interest - so I left it on that station just a bit longer.

The announcer, returning from a commercial break, began to share a story that so touched me, I elected to include it in my presentations - as it spoke clearly and innocently to the focus of every presentation I make - that being - Every Choice Has A Consequence.

It seems that a young man - actually better put a school kid - in the sixth grade was being acknowledged as the citizen of the week by this station in Dallas, TX. Now, Dallas isn't small...so for a school kid to be the citizen of the week, well I just had to hear the story.

Seems that one fine morning the kids had gathered at lunch, just visiting with each other, when one of his buddies got choked on an orange slice. Now, for any of us who have been choked...one thing you can't do is ask for help - kinda hard when you can't breathe. When the kids noticed what was happening most of them gathered around just looking in disbelief. You can imagine the scene - one kid choking to death - as others gathered and watched.

But not our citizen of the week. He, without giving it a thought, jumped into the middle of the group, placed his arms around his buddy and did the Heimlich maneuver dislodging the orange slice and rescuing the choking victim. He seemed to think nothing of it - but I'm sure the kid he saved has a much different feel for the whole experience.

Faced with mounding publicity, this young man seemed to take it in stride. Of course his mother was beaming with pride as her son was recognized for his heroic action. The reported asked, "Just how did you learn how to do the Heimlich?" Without hesitation the boy answered, "Why watching the movies - of course!" Taken back his mother leaned over and asked, "What movie, sweetie?" With an almost indignant tone, he replied, "Mom...Mrs. Doubtfire! Don't you remember?"

The news anchor laughed and for once I enjoyed hearing something that created hope - good news on the radio.

Just today another story was reported out of Jacksonville, Florida. http://www.news4jax.com/news/14652643/detail.html

This story was similar in content and in the feel good human interest side of the news. It's wonderful to talk about those choices in life that make a profound "life and death" difference. What makes them so interesting to me...is that neither of those two kids woke up, got dressed for school, and on the way out the door told their parents, "You know I think I'll save someone today."

When others stepped back and refused to take action, these two people stepped forward and made choices - unanticipated choices - that saved lives.

That happened to me back in 1990 - I mean someone then entered my life quite unexpectedly and made a profound statement that was life changing. He said, as I was experiencing my "Dark night of the Soul," - "You made a mistake, but You are not that Mistake! The choices you make next will define who you really are and the legacy you will leave for your children." As I considered suicide that night, he, in a few simple words, made the choice to stick with me and help me clear away the fog and see clearly who I could become for the first time in a long time.

Today, as a Texas Motivational Speaker, I speak to groups nationwide about choices and consequences. These two youthful examples show the power that one choice can have - saving a life. What choices have you made that have made a difference to you or other peoples lives?

For information on presentations on the Power of One visit my web site: http://www.chuckgallagher.com

Any comments?

Texas Motivational Speaker - Chuck Gallagher - signing off...

No comments: